Welcome To My Blog!

Welcome To My Blog!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Here We Go!

If you know me or if you don’t, you will soon find out that I am quite the music connoisseur. In fact, recorded music by other artists is one of the main sources of ideas, inspiration and learning for my own music. If you are a musician, listening is a must for your continual development. Across all genres of music the answer to all your musical questions can be found in the recordings of the masters. If you don’t listen you simply cannot learn the style and history of any genre of music. It is also important to explore artists both inside and outside of the genre, instrument or voice type in which you perform the most.

Listening is a life long adventure for any music lover. It never ceases to amaze me that the more music I play, artists I work with and students I teach, the more new music I find. I am in constant search of the next artist that I have never heard that will cause me to “binge out” on their music. I am also equally as intrigued by new genres on the increased respect for those I have not given a fair listen.

From Bach to Eminem, from Charlie Parker to Joni Mitchell, I have an opinion about almost every artist I’ve ever heard. After many late nights on the road with The Call, a band I direct at the University where I teach, listening to the over 14,000 songs on my iPod and talking music, a couple of students gave me the idea for this Blog.

The hardest part of this project was organizing how I wanted to structure and organize these posts. After many months of thought this is what I have come up with. I will start with simply writing about whatever album and artist I am listening to. I will give both my opinion and some technical analysis of individual songs, as well as, the album and artist as a whole. Second, I will rate the album on a scale of 1 () to 5 (★★★★★) stars, with 5 stars being reserved for those must have recordings. At the end of each post you will find a link to where you can purchase each recording.

So here we go! I hope these postings are informational as well as entertaining. I hope they provoke you to explore new artists and genres you have never listened to, but most of all I hope to keep you listening.

Happy Listening,

JG
Crestwood Publishing © 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment